It is one of the most popular railways in the country, with c250,000 passengers per annum largely as day visits supplemented by a strong group and educational market.
SVR is also a prestigious, commercial organisation with a turnover of over £8million per annum. Income sources are varied. In addition to ticket sales and the secondary spend at six stations, The Engine House Visitor Centre, four cafes and two CAMRA-awarded pubs, there are significant engineering works for locomotives and carriages at Bridgnorth, Bewdley and Kidderminster, which also undertake commercial work for other railways and heritage organisations.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the Severn Valley Railway into a bright future, building on its position as an important tourist attraction and a leading heritage railway of national importance.
Key aspects of the role include
• Lead the development and delivery of strategy, long term and annual plans to meet current and future business requirements.
• Ensure the development of commercial and marketing strategies aimed at maximising net income and business profitability.
• Ensure safe and efficient operation of all SVR business activities and that resources are in place to meet all operational requirements and that volunteer input is optimised.
• Develop a people-focused culture across the SVR, promoting the development of team working and collaboration within and across departments aimed at the long-term sustainability of SVR.
• A leader with demonstrable evidence of managing and growing a successful business operation, delivered in an open and transparent manner.
• Commercially aware, with an understanding of what makes a successful tourist business, visitor attraction or heritage asset, with the ability to understand customer needs and translate these into marketing strategies and plans.
• An understanding of the obligations arising from Health & Safety legislation and how to apply these and other industry requirements in a transport and engineering environment.
• A strong communicator with excellent relationship building and stakeholder management skills and the ability to work with people at all levels both internally and externally.
For an informal and confidential discussion, please speak with our advisors at Berwick Partners; William Pringle or Leia Clancy on 020 7529 3090.
Closing date for applications: Friday 30th August 2019
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?