• 5 world-class museums
• 5.5 million visitors last year
• 7 million items within our unrivalled collections
The Science Museum Group's mission is to 'inspire futures' and our five museums are a key national resource. With unparalleled collections in the fields of science, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine, the Group is uniquely placed to draw people of all ages to engage with science in an inspirational and informal way.
With world-class collections and inspiring and innovative programmes, we strive to make our museums the best in the world and have many exciting and ambitious plans still to come.
The Group is now looking for a new Commercial Director. Working with the Managing Director, you will work to the income strategy, improving the organisations bottom line and improving its future financial sustainability. Bringing an entrepreneurial approach, you will ensure that all current and future commercial activity is integrated to our overall offer and compliments the organisations mission, values and enhances its credibility.
• Lead and inspire a highly collaborative and driven team to work of the strategic development and delivery of income opportunities.
• Identify and realise new opportunities and maximise the commercial potential of the group’s property and assets, working collaboratively with all key areas.
• Engage with the rest of the Executive to champion income generation and identify opportunities for growth.
• Oversee the core commercial activities and support the associate commercial director in driving profits, including: Retail, Catering, Corporate events, Ticketed events and exhibitions, Publishing, Licencing, Picture library, Consultancy and Touring exhibitions.
• Manging the delivery of the commercial capital projects to ensure that they are designed to deliver maximum ROI and delivered on time and on budget.
• Champion the organisations approach to talent development, attracting and inspiring top team members.
• Support and champion the mission and values of the Science Museum Group.
• Proactively manage the finances of a large department, leading on best practice budgeting and forecasting, resource and business planning and data driven decision making.
• Will have proven experience at board level managing a large matrixed business and successfully improving turnover and net profit contribution, in line with the strategic objectives of the organisation.
• Should be a visible leader and catalyst of people change and improvement demonstrating experience of leading a diverse team of specialists, ensuring a coherent vision for the whole department whilst allowing freedom of expression through creativity and creative thinking.
• Will have experience of achieving cost and income efficiencies in multi-site organisations.
• Will have excellent communication and listening skills embedding a positive culture of open engagement and constructive challenge, with the ability to influence, build strong relationships and teams and plan collaboratively with a diverse range of stakeholder groups internally and externally.
• Must show strong business acumen, be commercially astute with a wide network to keep in touch with the latest development in best practice.
• Will have relevant experience in commercial activity such as retail, property development or exhibitions.
• Should have an empathy with the aims and objectives of the Science Museum Group
For an informal and confidential discussion, please speak with our advisors at Berwick Partners; William Pringle or Leia Clancy on 020 7529 3090.
Closing date for applications: Monday 9th September 2019
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?