The University of Cambridge's mission is to contribute to society through the pursuit of education, learning and research at the highest international levels of excellence. The University has an annual income of £1.66 billion. Research income exceeds more than £400 million per annum and continues to grow. The University is financially strong with an AAA (stable) rating from Moody’s, a balance sheet of £3.5 billion, and a well performing endowment fund of £2.5 billion.
As the University continues to grow in scale and complexity there is a need to balance investments in both people and the academic capital estate to stay globally competitive.
We are recruiting a Head of Investment Appraisal in a newly created role within the senior finance leadership team. This exciting new role will assist the University in optimising and prioritising its portfolio of opportunities, with a view to maximising value return and support to the primary academic mission.
The post holder will work in the context of academic priorities to provide the senior leadership team with a strong and independent assessment of all investment proposals in the pipeline.
This individual will be responsible for developing best practice across the University, in capabilities and techniques for opportunity assessment and screening. This will include the design and implementation of appropriate hurdle rates, prioritisation criteria and risk analysis. The post holder will be responsible for developing strong relationships across the University and will have strong levels of emotional intelligence; with the ability to explain why initiatives may not be viable in an empathetic manner.
A highly credible, experienced and intellectually rigorous, finance expert is required to hold responsibility for the assessment and critical appraisal of all material academic and commercial investment opportunities. The appointed candidate will be able to demonstrate:
• Extensive experience gained in investment appraisal and screening techniques gained in large and complex organisations.
• Broad range of economic, financial and commercial exposure.
• Deep understanding of risk analysis and associated impact on valuation techniques.
• Experience of change management and continuous improvement.
• Stakeholder relationship management.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills at all levels. Professional integrity and commitment.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills, with attention to detail.
• Planning and prioritisation of complex and competing workload.
• Networking skills with ability to act through influence rather than with direct authority.
The appointed individual will be educated to Degree level as a minimum and likely to have professional qualifications as an Accountant, Economist or Risk specialist.
For an informal and confidential discussion, please speak with our advisors at Berwick Partners; Tahira Raja on 0207 529 1036 or Lucy Ramsbottom on 0161 498 3418.
Closing date for applications: Thursday 27th June 2019
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?