The University of Cambridge's mission is to contribute to society through the pursuit of education, learning and research at the highest international levels of excellence. The University has an annual income of £1.66 billion. Research income exceeds more than £400 million per annum and continues to grow. The University is financially strong with an AAA (stable) rating from Moody’s, a balance sheet of £3.5 billion, and a well performing endowment fund of £2.5 billion.
The University has an ongoing programme to introduce improved and harmonised end-to-end financial processes and workflows.
In recent years a new CFO and Finance Director have been recruited, both with strong commercial backgrounds. In line with this current agenda; a University Group Financial Controller is being recruited to join the group finance function.
They will be responsible for:
• Developing, establishing and overseeing best operational accounting practice and financial control.
• Managing directly and indirectly all aspects of the University’s operational accounting and financial controls.
• Contributing to functional strategy and managing a substantial team (>100 FTEs).
• Establishing, maintaining and continually improving the end to end financial business processes and related systems.
The Group Financial Controller will be a technical expert able to deliver continuous improvement and will be a key driver in the active centralisation of finance. They will have strong leadership capabilities and will have the emotional intelligence required to navigate around the complex and nuanced university environment.
The post holder will be able to demonstrate:
• Extensive experience gained in operational finance functions in large and complex organisations.
• Broad range of exposure to financial accounting and business transaction processing / shared services.
• Significant experience in working with large and complex ERP accounting and reporting systems.
• Understanding and experience of risk management and controls and experience of change management and major systems projects.
• Extensive staff management experience with responsibility for large and distributed teams.
• Professional integrity and commitment.
• Strong analytical and problem solving, with good attention to detail.
• Interpersonal and communication skills at all levels and with professional / non-professional stakeholders.
The appointed individual will be educated to Degree level as a minimum and will be a fully qualified Accountant.
For an informal and confidential discussion, please speak with our advisors at Berwick Partners; Tahira Raja on 0207 529 1036 or Lucy Ramsbottom on 0161 498 3418.
In order to proceed with your application, please tell us where you learnt about this opportunity below, then either:
Where did you hear about this opportunity?